Subject: SV: VS: fra Diane ad foredrag

From: Kristian Lien <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 20:05:55 +0100

Hei, Sigurd og Ingvild,

Her er det Diane Hildebrandt har sendt over om informasjon om 
foredraget sitt. 

Hun har bedt om at foredraget blir tirsdag formiddag. 

THE USE OF THE ATTAINABLE REGION TO SYNTHESISE OPTIMAL COCURRENT MULTIPHASE
REACTORS
 Craig McGregor, Diane Hildebrandt* and David Glasser
 School of Process and Materials Engineering, University of the
Witwatersrand, Private Bag 3, WITS 2050, South Africa,

[email-masked]

Abstract

The geometric ideas of Attainable Region analysis are extended to consider
mass transfer in addition to the usual fundamental processes of reaction and
mixing in units with cocurrent flow. Optimal steady-state processes can then
be synthesised that use these fundamental processes. In particular, systems
are examined with two phases flowing into and out of the process. The
reaction is assumed to occur in one phase only and the separation assumes
either a semi-permeable membrane or transport across the interface  between
two different phases. This model allows novel reactors such as membrane
reactors, trickle-bed reactors and slurry-bed reactors to be considered for
the reactor network. The method is illustrated using two simple examples
that demonstrate that quite complicated processes layouts can be obtained.