From: Bjarne Foss <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:12:20 +0200

Sigurd,

Jo Simensen sin disputas blir 16/12. Dominique Bonvin vil da holde en
gjesteforelesning 17/12 som jeg foreslår går i PROST-regi. Abstract vedlegges.

Bjarne
-------------------

AUTOMATIC CONTROL: an enabling technology for the process industry

The contributions that automatic control can make to both mechatronic and
processing systems are assessed and compared. For the former, the objective is
to enable system integration, while the latter often require enhancement of
system productivity.

The industrial processing environment is briefly discussed. Industrial
processes
require constantly-improved operation in terms of both productivity and
ecology.
Better designs help, but do not suffice to meet the high expectations.
Processes
have to run optimally despite the inevitable disturbances and lack of process
knowledge.

A few optimization strategies are presented and compared. Simulation and
experimental results obtained with a biofilter and a semi-batch
laboratory-scale
reactor are presented.