Subject: possible diplom project

From: David Clough <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 08:29:43 +0100

Dear HYSYS-Dynamics Experts:

I have discussed with Prof. Skogestad the possibility that a student from 
NTNU would carry out their diplom project under my supervision at the 
University of Colorado.  We have determined that this would be feasible, so 
I thought that I would let the students with whom I have worked on HYSYS 
projects know about this first.

The plan would be for the student to come to the University of Colorado for 
5-to-6 months starting in late August.  Non-US students usually pay 
university tuition & fees amounting to about NOK 80000 per semester; 
however, I have been able to arrange for my university to waive 
these.  Therefore, the student would only be responsible for their travel 
and living expenses.

The theme of the project we propose is model-predictive control.  The 
project will involve both experimental (laboratory-scale) and simulational 
implementations.  The student would develop significant knowledge and 
skills in this area of control.  Model-predictive control is of particular 
interest in industry today, and especially in Norway, so the expertise 
gained via this project should aid the student in finding career opportunities.

Should you wish to discuss this with me before I leave, I suggest that you 
drop by either today or tomorrow.

The University of Colorado is located in Boulder, Colorado, at the foot of 
the Rocky Mountains.  It is in a beautiful setting with ample opportunities 
for recreational activities at all times of the year.  It's altitude is 
1650m and mountains nearby rise to 4300m.  On the average, there is 
sunshine more than 300 days per year.  The climate is relatively dry, with 
average annual precipitation of about 40cm.  You can read more about Boulder at
http://www.ci.boulder.co.us/
about the University of Colorado at
http://www.colorado.edu/
and about the Department of Chemical Engineering there at
http://www.colorado.edu/che/

If you know other students who might be interested in this opportunity, 
please pass this information along.

D. E. Clough